All of the Printable kits and texture papers designed by Railwayscenics are supplied in zip files as PDF (Portable Document Format) files. To read PDF files you must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. This software is free, and is available by clicking on the image below if you do not have it already.
All Railwayscenics kits and texture papers are designed to be printed on to A4 (210x297mm) size paper.
Each of our printable kits come with various printing requirements. Please read the instructions supplied with the download before you print.
A quality photo matt paper (120-160gsm) or similar is recommended. Printing should be carried out using your printers special setting for photos, and if possible for matte paper. This will use more ink, but will give a very high quality image.
The template sheets only need to be printed onto ordinary quality copier paper.
The glazing sheets should be printed out on a special acetate sheet for your style of printer.
These should be printed onto ordinary quality printer paper.
To open our zipped files
Our zipped folders are created using WINZIP. This is available for most operating systems, but is no longer free. We have listed some alternative free programs that will also open zipped folders. Just click the images to be taken to the website where each program can be found. Once you have downloaded and installed the small program, you should be able to open the zipped files just by clicking on the file.
To print a PDF
- Launch Adobe Reader and then open up the files in the download, or if you have adobe reader installed just double click the file.
- Select FILE then PRINT.
- Select the printer you wish to use if you have more than one.
- IMPORTANT: Print at 100% and ensure that all page scaling, FIT TO PAGE or similar are UNCHECKED. Failure to do this will result in the printout not being to scale.
- Select PROPERTIES, and select the type of paper you are printing on, and then select the desired quality or dpi. The higher the print quality the better the results. On some of our downloads lines will be missing if a low printer resolution has been selected.
- Save these printer settings (if this feature is available).
- Select OK or PRINT.
To print a particular page of the PDF.
It is possible to only print one page of a PDF. This is particularly helpful if you have made a mistake and wish to print the part again.
- Open the PDF using Adobe reader.
- Select the print option by either using the menu or clicking on the print button.
- On the main screen that opens, go down the page to the PRINT RANGE section.
- Select the page number that you require.
- Select OK or PRINT to print the page.
A printer test sheet can be downloaded from the free downloads area to allow you see the scaled textures and to test your printer settings. It also shows you some of the different textures that we have available. The printout is scaled to 4mm ft.